Kill The Vocoder


A Web Log for professional appreciators and mediocre musicians




Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subject: Like Taking Candy From a Baby
Artist: Len Barry
Album: 1-2-3
Song: 1-2-3

I'm planning on beginning my own radio program at my school, but I have been finding it difficult in deciding what music I would broadcast.

I came to the decision of broadcasting oldies. K-RTH 101.0 in Los Angeles is a radio station I have been listening to since my early days on this planet. My earliest memories consist of being in the back seat of my family's car with this station on the radio.

I would emphasize on the hit singles on the late 50s, the Motown Pop explosions of the 60s and 70s, the British Invasion, US Rock n' Roll, and early 70s soul, and the golden years of Capitol and Decca records.

One single that stands out is Len Barry's "1-2-3." This recognizable hit from 1965 is a beautiful example of U.S. pop music in the 60s. It has all those audible motifs of the music of that time: moderately fast tempo, a copious load of horn orchestration, and "sing-a-long" lyrics. This tune will be apart of my repertoire if I should happen to get the ball rolling on my radio program.



0 Comments:


Go To Top